On July 8, 2016, the Committee of 100 hosted a high level Global Chinese Philanthropy Symposium in Beijing convening one hundred leading Chinese philanthropists from across Greater China.
RELEVANT LINKS: EVENT PHOTOS | TRANSCRIPT OF BAN REMARKS | PRESS COVERAGE
This first-of-its-kind event at Diaoyutai State Guesthouse was held in honor of United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, and featured top U.N. officials and other dignitaries including the Right Honourable Gordon Brown, former U.K. Prime Minister and U.N. Special Envoy for Global Education; Minister Qiu Yuanping, Director of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council of P.R. China; Ambassador Liu Jieyi, Permanent Mission of P.R. China to the United Nations, a distinguished delegation of twenty Committee of 100 members, and many other luminaries.
C-100 Chairman Frank H. Wu gave opening remarks, addressing some of the world’s most generous Chinese individuals, whose contributions to society total in the billions of dollars. C-100 member Ronnie Chan welcomed the group in a video message, and former Chairman Clarence Kwan facilitated a substantive dialogue engaging participants to share their philanthropic experiences and aspirations. Discussions were framed to promote strategic alignment around the United Nations post-2015 global development agenda. C-100 cofounder Shirley Young introduced the U.N. Secretary General, noting that her stepfather, diplomat Wellington Koo, was the first signatory of the U.N. Charter in 1945.
Setting aside time from his packed visit with Chinese leaders last week, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon delivered an inspiring keynote speech during lunch, commending Committee of 100 members and other leading philanthropists in the room for their long history of contributions to social progress. He also called on attendees to be part of a “serious 15-year partnership” to help achieve the U.N.’s global goals. (Click here to read the transcript of Ban Ki-moon’s speech, with Chinese translation)
At the end of lunch, Committee of 100 presented Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon with the C-100 “Global Leadership Award” recognizing his spearheading efforts to promote global philanthropy as part of the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals, and in particular, for championing partnerships with Asian philanthropists in the post-2015 global development agenda.
This event is the first in a series of Committee of 100 high-level convenings of Chinese philanthropists from the United States, Greater China and around the world. Through these efforts, C-100 aims to elevate the profile of Chinese philanthropy as a collective force for good and strengthen strategic alignment of individual action towards a shared vision of global prosperity.
HIGHLIGHTED PRESS COVERAGE:
- The Emperor’s Gift: Chinese bosses are giving more to charity | The Economist (link to article)
- Ban Ki-Moon talks to Chinese philanthropists about war-torn childhood | China Daily (link to article)
- VIDEO: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s remarks at the Committee of 100 Global Chinese Philanthropy Symposium in Beijing | CCTV (link to video)
- VIDEO: Ban Ki-moon Attends Committee of 100 Global Chinese Philanthropy Event 潘基文在北京出席百人会全球华人公益慈善活动 | China News (link to video)
- Committee of 100 Global Chinese Philanthropy Symposium held in Beijing | Sina English (link to article)
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon addresses the Committee of 100 Global Chinese Philanthropy Symposium in Beijing | Xinhua (link to article)
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon: Amid Proliferation of Philanthropy, Deeper Global Partnerships Must Seize Chance to Advance 2030 Agenda, Secretary-General Tells ‘Committee of 100’ in China | United Nations (link to release)
- Committee of 100 Chairman: Chinese American Political Participation Shall Rise 百人会会长：美国华裔政治参与度在提升 | CaiXin (link to article)
- Ban Ki-moon Attends Committee of 100 Roundtable Dialogue Dedicated to Chinese Philanthropy 百人会倡议华人致力慈善公益 潘基文出席圆桌对话 | People.com.cn (link to article)
- Ban Ki-moon: Partnership between China and the United Nations is crucially important 潘基文:中国是联合国不可或缺的伙伴 | Sina Finance (link to article)
- Ban Ki-moon: Chinese philanthropy has made significant contributions 潘基文：华人对全球慈善贡献有目共睹 | 163.com (link to article)
PARTICIPATING COMMITTEE OF 100 MEMBERS:
- Ms. Anla Cheng – C-100 Board Member; Founder & CEO, SupChina
- Mr. Ming Hsieh – C-100 Board Member; Chairman & CEO, Fulgent Therapeutics
- Mr. Clarence Kwan – Former C-100 Chairman; Senior Partner, Sino-Century China Private Equity
- Mr. Paul Lin – C-100 Board Member; Partner in Charge, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, Irvine office
- Dr. Richard Y. Lee – Distinguished C-100 member since 2011; Chairman, Amsino Medical Group
- Mr. Herman Li – Former C-100 Chairman, Current CFO; Chairman, C&L Restaurant Group
- Mr. Howard Li – C-100 Board Member, Greater China Co-Chair; Chairman & CEO, Waitex International Co.
- Mr. Shu Li – Distinguished C-100 member since 2010; Founder, J&J Investments
- Mr. Peter Liu – Distinguished C-100 member since 1998; Chairman, WI Harper Group
- Mr. John Long – Distinguished C-100 member since 2012; Chairman & President, Highridge Partners
- Dr. Edmond Pi – Distinguished C-100 member since 1991; Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, USC
- Mr. Oscar Tang – C-100 Cofounder; Philanthropist
- Mr. Henry S. Tang – C-100 Cofounder; Managing Partner, Carnegie Towers Strategic Investment Advisory
- Dr. Carter Tseng – Distinguished C-100 member since 2003; Chairman & CEO of Little Dragon Foundation
- Dr. Dazong Wang – C-100 Board Member, Greater China Co-Chair; Chairman of Ophoenix Capital
- Mr. Walter Wang – Distinguished C-100 member since 1999; President & CEO of JM Eagle
- Mr. Frank H. Wu – C-100 Chairman; Former Chancellor & Dean, Distinguished Professor of U.C. Hastings College of Law
- Ms. Shirley Young – C-100 Cofounder; President of Shirley Young Associates
- Dr. Ya-Qin Zhang – Distinguished C-100 member since 2008; President of Baidu